Perth Girl About Town

10 March 2011

Michael Buble at Sandleford Winery

Excuse the crappy photo, It was from my iPhone

M was lovely enough to purchase us platinum tickets to Michael Buble last year and after months of waiting the day finally came last Friday night. Micheal Buble (or "Bubble" as M and I call him) has been a long time favourite of mine and when he came to Perth last time (2008) I saw him play at Challenge Stadium. Even though Challenge Stadium is pretty ho-hum as a venue, I was 5 five rows from the front and he was magnificent. So I had high hopes for last Friday's performance and in some ways it didn't match my expectations. 

M and I arrived at about 6:30pm and after buying a couple of drinks ($10 for a very bogan bourbon and coke!) we went down to our seats. As you can see from the picture above we were no where near as close to the front as I would have expected for our tickets! 

First up there was his support act Naturally 7. They were the support act last time and it is a group of 7 guys who sing and make music with their mouths, not using instruments. They are really good but they were on between 6:30 - 7:30 with Michael starting at 8. During the half hour break there was nothing going on so it didn't really warm up the crowd at all.
Michael started and he started off with "Cry Me a River". It was great to hear him with the big band behind his music. After that song finished there were fireworks going off behind him, it looked great!

He is always a fantastic performer. He is a bit of a comedian and does so much to interact with the crowd. He included one of my favourite songs "Mack The Knife" which was an awesome surprise. He spoke about how Michael Jackson was an influence on him growing up and he performed a piece of "Billy Jean". 

It was a beautiful night to be sitting outside but there were plenty of mosquitoes going around. I thought that because there were so many people to choose from that we wouldn't be bitten but I was wrong! 

Sandleford Winery as venue isn't too bad. They had a good layout once you were inside and the sound was perfect. The only thing is that I would have thought that Sandleford would have worked out how to get cars in and out of the venue. It took us nearly an hour to get back onto the main road after leaving the venue! It definitely put a bit of a dampener on an otherwise great night.

Overall he is an amazing performer and I can't wait until he comes back to Perth!

No comments:

Post a Comment